GISHWHES? What's a GISHWHES?

Around this time last year, I decided to do something a little crazy.  I joined a team for the Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen, more commonly referred to as GISHWHES. Every year during the first week of August, teams from all over the world set out to complete as many fun, creative, community-serving tasks as they can in an effort to not only win the grand prize (this year, it’s a trip to Iceland!), but more importantly to spread joy, kindness, and a good dash of silliness into the world.  In times like these, I think we need as much of those as we can get.

Why yes, I AM vacuuming the lawn in my best June Cleaver outfit.

I first heard about GISHWHES listening to a podcast that featured its creator, Misha Collins a few years ago.  I didn’t know who he was, but found out that he was an actor on the tv show, Supernatural, which had been on my list of things to watch FOREVER. As they talked about the Hunt, I thought about how much fun it sounded.  I had already missed registration for that year’s, but I promised myself that I would get involved.  It took a couple years for me to actually follow through on that promise, but as I scrolled through a fan page for Supernatural last year (oh yeah, in that time I watched ALL 9 seasons on Netflix, and then caught up to what was then the current season on tv) someone suggested a starting a GISHWHES team.  It was time for me to follow through with what I decided 2 years beforehand. I was nervous about joining–I didn’t know any of these people, money was pretty tight, and I still wasn’t entirely sure what I was signing up for, but I went all-in and joined the team.  It ended up being one of the best decisions I have made! I’ve made amazing friends from all over the world who I talk to almost daily. I did things that I probably never would have done on my own, all in the spirit of the GISHWHES mantra, “death to normalcy.”

Pose in front of a glacier in a bikini and floaty? Sure! Bonus dog judgement.

So, why am I telling you all about this?  Because there’s only 3 days left to register for this year’s Hunt!  This year, the list drops on July 30 and the Hunt ends August 6.  You don’t need a team to register, as everyone without a team will be assigned one. Since you’ve got teammates from all over the world, it’s guaranteed you won’t know at least some of them–and that’s the point!  The beauty of GISHWHES is that it is as competitive or relaxed as you want it to be.  Our team decided early on that we would do the best we can, but no one needed to take the week off of work or unload a ton of money to try to win.  Other teams put winning at the priority, and go after tasks that are worth the most points.  No matter how you want to GISH, you can!  I honestly can’t recommend joining enough. If you want a shot of adrenaline in your life, head over to gishwhes.com and register before it’s too late!  I can’t wait to see what the list items are this year.  I know they’ll push the limits of what we thought was possible. And if you come across any Gishers while they’re on the Hunt, be sure to help them out!

This bell hop at the Doubletree in Lloyd District was such a trooper! I think he was mostly glad HE didn’t have to wear the kale hat!

Have any of you done GISHWHES in years past, or are you joining the Hunt this year?  Tell us about your experiences in the comments!

Join us in the Hunt!

Posted on July 19, 2016 at 11:02 PM
Sianna Johnson | Category: Uncategorized | Tagged , ,

19 responses to “GISHWHES? What's a GISHWHES?”

1. Jessica says:

I’ll be doing my first hunt this year. I’m so excited!!! Like you, I ran across GISHWHES last year the day after registration closed. I promised myself that next year I would join. As soon as GISHWHES announced registration open, I signed up. Then convinced my sister in law & brother to sign up as well. I am currently counting down the days to July 30 (10 more days!!) and eagerly await Misha & the GISHWHES teams orders!

2. Lisa says:

Last year was my first year doing Gishwhes, and I had an absolute blast! I even took that “Death to Normalcy” mantra just a bit farther by (ridiculously, I thought) submitting my “X is for Xylophone” trailer to an actual film festival near me. It ended up getting selected to screen, which I just found hilarious and awesome all at once.

I’m really looking forward to partaking in the madness all over again–this time, with my husband on my team! Happy hunting to you and yours! 🙂

3. Dawn says:

This will be my third hunt and I honestly can’t imagine my life without GISHWHES. I wish I could make the world GISH. I’ve learned things about myself, found amazing friends, developed an unhealthy love for Misha Collins, seriously bewildered some people, helped a lot more and spread weirdness and kindness. I wish I could Gish year round.

• siannaj01 says:

Everything you say is so true! It’s amazing the limits you’ll push during the Hunt. Even though we don’t GISH year-round, I definitely feel the GISHWHES spirit all year long!

4. Akram Maarouf says:

Misha Collins himself called your article full of crap and lies, please stop using celebrities to pull out your own business/agenda and use their names to boost your twisted ideas. You simply don’t have the right to, I am a very big fan of Misha & can’t tolerate when ppl shamelessly use his name for their own benefit!! Learn to use some legit references to back up your claims!!

5. siannaj01 says:

I know, our team is AMAZING! 9 more days!!!

6. Awesome article!! Someday I will take the plunge! 🙂

7. Stephanie says:

Misha shared your post 🙂 I’m all signed up and ready as well!

• siannaj01 says:

I know! I started getting all these notifications last night, and I was like, “What is going on?!” and then I saw his tweet and fangirled all over my house 🙂
      Glad you’re signed up! It’s gonna be a great week!

• reddevilpoes says:

I can just imagine that, you tearing around, rolling on the floor in every room and head-butting walls, cupboards and chairs..Just like my cats when they are chasing brainfairies. Good luck to you all.

8. Cheryl Alexandru says:

This is the first time I am doing GISHWES with my disabled son and really don’t know what to expect, so I am awaiting the unexpected, I just hope I can do my team justice.
    WOW. I can’t wait !!!

• siannaj01 says:

What a great experience for you and your son to share! There’s so many items on the list that there will absolutely be some suited to your talents. Happy Hunting!

9. Anon says:

Hahaha..

10. KLD says:

I unfortunately missed the deadline this year, but next year, I’m in!! ❤ 8

• siannaj01 says:

I feel like that’s the story for so many of us! If you sign up for the email newsletter, they will let you know when registration opens so you’ll be ready!

11. Stephanie says:

And… it’s over 🙁 This year was amazing. Hopefully you had as much fun as my team did!